Monday, May 16, 2011

Using fabric on a layout

I got a sewing machine so I could learn to sew pillowcase style dresses for Lola as I love them. I also wanted to make her Alice in Wonderland apron for her first birthday.
Needless to say it hasn't happened- yet. But the machine gets used- a LOT- on paper. One day I WILL learn to sew but for now I'm happy to just know how to make a straight line.
For this page I cut some flowers off the fabric that was used to make Lola's dress (purchased online- have not been able to master the pillow case dress yet) I then stuck them onto the paper using Zip Dry glue- MISTAKE! Here's what I recommend- use that iron on adhesive webbing they use to make quilts- it makes sticking things and sewing them on paper much easier- this is what happens when you skip that crucial step:
I love this series of shots- it's very Lil Red Ridding Hood.
The fold from 1 year of storage in the bed linens closet has also been preserved- oops!
I like that the stitching around the flower outline is uneven but
some adhesive webbing would have kept that fabric stuck in place.
This project came together so quickly even I was surprised- Lily Bee Hello Sunshine and some K & Company Handmade alphas and we are good to go!

Hipstamatic iPod App strikes again!!! Love the sunshine filter effect you
get using the Jimmy lens and blanko film!
My favorite detail from this project.
This is my first real attempt at a 2 page layout with matching pages. I really liked feeling like I had more room to play with but I didn't run around trying to find more fiddly bits to add- I just wanted to showcase the fabric (and my lack of ironing skills).

MuChOs SmOoChEs!
Michelle

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! How fun are these pages? I have GOT to get myself a sewing machine!...sounds like a good July 4th present...heehee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the sweet comments on my blog. YOUR STUFF ROCKS! I adore your layouts! And, ditto, I've wanted to get a sewing machine for forever too. Just never manage to fit it into the budget. =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude...love this page. super uber cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You crack me up. :)

    Super cute layout and it is a 2-pager! Love the sewing, the adorable fabric and the fun/whimsical way you placed the letters in each word. Thanks for the sewing on paper tip...that is a future goal of mine...to take the sewing machine out of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this page! So many details, so much color! The photos are gorgeous, too.

    Thank you so much for commenting on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.