Sunday, November 28, 2010

Holiday Mojo is a NO GO!

I have some holiday ideas brewing but nothing that makes me want to sit down and stitch away or fussy cut for hours. Instead I'm longing for summer. So I offer THIS up:

MoMA- Our First Visit. Pencil Lines sketch 214 by Laura Vegas
I really love the MoMA. Dave and I visited with Gia (my best friend from college) in september and somehow I didn't get any good photos!!! I was distracted by the crowds and by Lola who kept escaping from my grasp to touch everything.

I stared at the shadows made by the gorgeous skylights in the new atrium and took a million shots of those. I also remember staring at Henri Matisse's "The Piano Lesson" for so long Dave had to come get me.

For my second attempt at a MoMA theme page, I used stitching as a way to add texture and dimension. I managed to get the lines relatively straight this time. The Pencil Lines sketch is really clean and modern so I wanted to punch it up a bit by making is a vertical 8 by 11.

I used Bazzill swiss dotted paper (which is really more teal blue than this scan), Webster's Pages 6 by 6 paper and packaging from a K & Co handmade embellishment I love so much I try to put it in every piece- LOVE that beige grid!!!! I also used 2 of my favorite EK Success punches double embossed dotted lace and the new large edger punch- circles.

But this is a second attempt. Where is the first? You ask- or maybe not- you are distracted by the pure hideousness of the page below.
Here it is. A definite FAIL.
MoMA- A First Visit. FAIL layout.

Here I tried to use the layout from Matisse's "The Piano Lesson" but the kraft paper is throwing the comparison off- as is the felt swirl ribbon. What I like about this layout is that it talks about how I screamed and screamed again for Yoko Ono's "Voice Piece For a Soprano" which gives any transgressive personality (moi) permission to do so. Dave was decidedly NOT into it. Lola tried to eat the mike. A museum guard stood by all friendly like by the 4th scream- I think I was freaking everyone the hell out. Blame it on Yoko- it's her project- I'm just trying to help a fellow art chick out.

Maybe I'll feel more Christmas ornament friendly tomorrow????

MuChOs SmOoChEs!!!
M

3 comments:

  1. Great stitching on the LO #2! I do have to say LO #1 does look super "artsy" :) Nice to have BOTH layouts to document the nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post. My only visit to MoMA was 1978 or 79 (I'm bad with years). Paloma Picasso allowed permanent works to tour selected cities around the world. It was one of the best trips/moments of my life. Boy do I have stories....pretty wild.

    Thanks for stirring those memories, "Yoko", lol.

    ReplyDelete

Ok peeps lets CHAT! You tell me what you REALLY think and I PROMISE to keep it open minded here.